Saturday, March 8, 2008

Mission to the Amazon Jungle in Peru

It was snowing in Columbus when they left. Charles has been craving an adventure in the snow... but that's not what he'll be getting on this trip!

They are scouting out an area of the jungle to see what type of long-term mission opportunities might be feasible for MBC on a long-term basis. This particular area was abandoned by a previous church, and I can understand how that could happen. Airfare to Peru is very expensive; and the accommodations once you arrive are... well... a tent in the jungle. The Amazon Jungle. They have to travel to their site in a boat down the Amazon River for about 4 hours. After the boat ride, I believe they are also backpacking a small distance. It's not the type of mission trip that will appeal to everyone!

Here are some of the things that might discourage the average person from a trip to the Amazon:



  • "The Willy Fish" (I didn't make up the name; I'm just repeating what it's called!) Learn about this clever little guy with this clip originally aired on Animal Planet:




  • Piranhas.




Very interesting!

I'm not really worried about the guys in the Amazon. However, I did tell Charles to stay out of the Amazon River. I know piranhas are only attracted to the smell of blood... but why test the theory? I saw the movie Piranha in my formative years, and I can guarantee you I am not ever getting in the water with any piranhas! No Way!

Here is the trailer for the movie that forever shaped my opinion of bathing in the Amazon River:



    2 comments:

    Holly S. said...

    I thought this might help you find me!

    I also told this story on my blog and linked here for more info about the trip: Tonight in the nursary Lee-R and Annalee were our last two kids. Lee-R tells us that his daddy is in Peru. Miss Karen asked him "What's your daddy doing in Peru?" (Just to see what he's say.) He answered "Praying and telling people about God." That was awesome! Kim was SO proud.

    - Holly

    Marion said...

    On Wed night we asked Ephraim how his daddy was doing. He said, "He's at the zoo!" It was SO cute!